Monday, February 06, 2006

My Super Bowl Wrapup Like Every Other Blogger

The NFL's regular season parity continued in its biggest game last night. I thought it was a decent game that was just entertaining enough as neither team was impressive and only a play or two changed the whole game. There seemed to be too many questionable calls for a Super Bowl crew. Granted, the better team did win the game (you have to give credit to Pittsburgh who had the toughest route anyone could have to the game by winning 3 games on the road), but still some of those calls left everyone shaking their heads. There was the holding penalty that negated a long Seattle pass down to the Pittsburgh 1-yard line, the 15-yard penalty on Hasselback's tackle after his interception, the no-call collar tackle, and the holding call on Warrick's long punt return. At least those are what I remember them, how I remember them.



It's always nice to be inside while it's a Detroit winter outside (though it only got 1.5 inches).

As far as Roethlisberger's rushing TD, I didn't think he clearly made it, but you have to go with the call on the field. It should be noted that the official who made the call first put his fist up to signal fourth down, and then changed it to a TD. Also, I have one conspiracy theory to throw out there...once the Seahawks realized they really weren't going to win, Holmgren went for the possible TD (instead of a field goal) so he could try for the 2-point conversion. Had the TD and conversion been successful, Seattle would have beaten the spread of Pittsburgh by 4. Sure it's doubtful, but it helps explain why the field goal wasn't kicked first (of course the Seattle kicker was only 1/3 that night, but it's fun to play with conspiracy theories).



The gatorade bath is overdone except when your team wins.

I had no vested interest in either team, but I'd hate to be a Seattle fan. Sure it was the best year in the franchise's history, but if only a few plays went their way and some of the phantom penalties had not been called, the outcome may have been different. It would have also helped their fans if their players held on to some key throws during the game after getting hit and if their punter could actually not kick have a touchback called on every punt. It's funny that in the three major sports (or four if you want to be kind to hockey), the losing Super Bowl team always seems to be the worst loser, yet they did finish in second place. The losing MLB or NBA team never seems to take it so bad that it lost in the finals.



You had a great run, but it's hard to beat a team of destiny with all of the Steelers' playoff breaks.

I understand the cheesy idea the NFL had with the National Anthem by bringing a New Orleans singer to Detroit to sing with one of its motown vocalists, but it didn't work. Nevermind that my short attention span already moved past New Orleans issues post-Katrina, but Aaron Neville and Dr. John (who is Dr. John? I know my musical knowledge is slim to none, but I've never heard of him) didn't do anything for the song's well-being. Detroit's Aretha Franklin proved she still has the pipes and should have sang by herself. Neville's falsetto voice is not right for the song while Franklin not only sounded better, but fortunately for us, she drowned his voice when they were singing together at the end.



If only the NFL had let Aretha sing the whole thing.

I also thought the halftime show was weak. The Rolling Stones made great music, but they can't perform it as well anymore. The sound was off, Mick Jagger showed his midriff to let us all know he has a woman's figure thanks to all of the illegal things he has ingested, and his voice sounded like his mouth was full of marbles. Would you have understood any of the words if you hadn't already heard the song a million times before? I also was surprised at the young'uns in the audience. I'm sure some of them were 1/3 of Mick's age. Look, I'd keep going if I could still get paid to rock when I'm that old, though you've gotta call it quits when you're more likely to break a hip trying to dance than have another hit song.



I know I'm way past my prime, but if the NFL's going to pay me, why not?

I felt the commercials were very strong this year, especially those in the first half. I didn't agree with some of USA Today's rankings, but then again, legit ad viewers (like ourselves) know it's always skewed toward earlier played ads. I had lots of favorites: beer ad where the bottles were hidden in the office, caveman/FedEx, streaking lamb(?), Ameriquest's we don't judge ads were funny, Bud's ad with the fan cards to show the beer pouring and drinking was really creative, touch football, stunt city (but it was a little too busy for a tv ad), and chimps celebrating a good or bad fiscal year. As usual, some of the best commercials made me not remember what it was for in the first place, but such is Super Bowl advertising. There were misses as well, but I've tried to forget them. Until next year when I resume my hatred of the TFW and hope the Giants fall on the good side of the league's parity.

No comments: