Thursday, February 09, 2006

Broken Elevator? At Least We Have Some Grub

Now that my office has moved up a few floors, my mind has had more time to think its quirky elevator thoughts. With a deli on the first floor, there's a good chance I'll ride the elevator with someone carrying some fresh food. Once he or she gets on, I think two things: 1) Based on first impressions, what kind of lunch food person are they? Maybe they try to be smart and frugal and go with that day's scheduled special, or they like variety and change it up by trying something new each time on the menu, or maybe they stick with the same thing each week because they're the kid who cried on the first day of kindergarten because they're homesick. For the record, that kid was me and when I get food from downstairs, it's gotta be the hamburger and fries, if for no other reason than the unlimited ketchup and Old Bay Seasoning.



Before getting on a potentially broken elevator, make sure the other people have good food.

After my superficial impressions are done, I become thankful that he or she stepped on the elevator. If we were to get stuck I'm relieved to know that we'd at least have some food to keep us going until we get saved. I wouldn't get picky about the person or really judge them for the food they chose since I'd be starving without them, but it should have some good flavor. The flipside is my assumption that the person would even offer me their food. I doubt they would if they had known about my presumptuous judgment, but then I'd at least try guilting them into it. Better yet, let's just hope the elevator doesn't get stuck in the first place so my overthinking becomes a moot point like always.



Our studies show this guy is an opposite-entry-side button pusher.

Next time you get on the elevator, take note of the side of the door you entered from and whether you made the sharp u-turn to the buttons on that same side or whether you went to the opposite side buttons. In other words, when the door opens and I enter closer to the right side of the door, I will continue walking from my right to the left-side buttons. I usually don't make the turn and stay on my entry-side. It is my theory that most people do the opposite-entry-side button push. Let me know what your research has shown and we'll publish a report...don't laugh, WTOP would report our health findings like their other aired findings that aren't completely finished or have any real value.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very conscious about entering on one side, and using that side's buttons. Kind of like when you make a left turn into traffic, you're supposed to stay in the left hand lane, then signal and move to the right. Although most people just make the wide turn in to the right hand lane. So wrong, so wrong!