Friday, March 31, 2006

Participate In 1 Protest, Get 1 Day Off From School For Free

My blog has stayed away from any political commentary for a few reasons, not the least of which is the fact I don't care for all of the BS that goes along with any discussion of politics. Don't worry, I'm not about to end that anytime soon. When I've managed to take one of my 10-second peeks into what's going on around the country, there have been lots of high schoolers protesting the illegal immigration bills in Congress. At least that's what I've gathered from only reading the headlines.

I'll take up any cause if it lets me miss my social studies test.

Oh sure, the media will publish quotes from kids who may actually care about the topic, but don't fool yourself. 95% of those high schoolers are protesting because it lets them miss class. Proving once again that there's safety in numbers. One year in high school, we walked out for what I guess was something about teacher contracts, but who knows anymore. Everyone else acted like they were taking some big stand so I did too, since they couldn't put us all in detention. Anyone in school looks for any reason to miss class, so why not say you're protesting (though protests rarely change anything) when it's really just an excused day of hooky.

No comments: