Monday, March 20, 2006

Fix your registry

A few weeks ago I was asked to fix a Windows XP computer that wouldn't get too far once it booted. During the computer's BIOS check, it gave the following message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Yet again, I was stubbornly determined not call Dell for any help so I searched the Internet and found that Microsoft's help page actually helped and was easy to follow. Like a boy scout earning a badge of knowledge, now I can fix this problem with the best of'em. When the above error message appears, it means your registry is corrupted. This usually happens when new hardward or software is installed. It's times like these that it pays to keep your Windows operating system CD. Instead of recapping Microsoft's advice, just click here to see what I did to fix the computer. Of course, I made it a point to backup all of the data once it was up and running.

2 comments:

sammygeerock said...

Wow! That's really hepful! You must be some kind of computer genius.

Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked that page - thanks! I hope I don't have to use it though, and I fear the day that my Gateway crashes before I buy the external hard drive to back it up. Geek talk. :)