Friday, January 27, 2006

I'm Electric....boogey-woogey-woogey

It's okay if you admit to knowing what song this entry's title plays on. Lately, I've been building up way too much static electricity while walking around my company's floor. It only takes a few steps-worth of walking to get a shock from any door handle or electric device. I usually touch some of our unused metal handles (as a courtesy to the resident germaphobes) when I can so it doesn't hurt when I have an electric discharge. Of course, if I need a caffeine alternative, I'll let the charge build and slowly move my metal watch toward a handle and see a nice current pass between them and through my hand.



She's exagerating...just a bit...of what I go through everyday.

I used to think I was getting shocked only when I wore my brown pants, shoes, and socks. Unfortunately, it (literally) feels like any combination will do the trick. My usual black shoes will build current with any of my socks ranging from navy blue to black so I don't have a choice when it comes to shocking. I'm sure it doesn't help that I walk pretty flatfooted and ususally drag my feet just above the carpet. And yes, I have tripped on flat carpet because I don't pick my feet too far off the ground. Having to ground myself whenever I want to leave my desk is getting a little annoying so it could be time for some new shoes or maybe I should just come to work in sneakers.

2 comments:

Mappy B said...

I too used to think it was just my 'brown outfit' that shocked me. Or clung to me. But now. Static is the WORST. I hate touching your car door, you know it's coming, but you can't do anything about it.

I accidently deleted your comment on my post today. Sorry! Not on purpose!

Anonymous said...

sometimes THAT song comes on the radio, and i close my office door and do the dance. i'm not making this up. it's the truth.