Friday, September 09, 2005

I'm Walking the Freedom Walk

Amid a rather lowkey weekend for me, I'll be participating in the Freedom Walk on Sunday. It's the least I can do to show support for the troops and honor the victims of 9/11, but not the war itself. While there has been some talk that it's a way for the government to link the basis for the war in Iraq with 9/11, I don't see it that way. Is it that hard to see the event as a mutually-exclusive walk for the troops and a walk to remember the victims? Critics will critique with their biases, but it doesn't matter to me because I know why I'm walking.

As far as complaints about the fenced off route, etc., this really isn't an event that you'd want random people walking in. It would be impossible to organize an event like this with open-ended registration. What happens if you get 10,000 more people than you expected? Yeah that's right, the event would be overwhelmed. Heck, you even have to register for your local 5k to avoid a logjam of participants. However, I don't understand why the media is limited to 3 areas. In that light, if you're lucky, I'll remember to bring my camera and eventually upload the pics to the blog. For some more information about the walk, checkout this article in the Washington Post.


No comments: