Monday, May 23, 2005

Look at me, I'm unsupervised inside a vending machine

I don't have kids right now, but I know that if I become a parent, I will do my best to ensure that my child does not end up like this one:



That's 3-year old James Manges II in there. His mother claims he threw a juice box on the floor after she didn't give him money for the machine. She said in the time it took for her to pickup the box, he was already in the machine.

Really? Did she pickup the box in slow motion? Did the child throw the box 100 yards down the aisle? Perhaps she's trying to save face and not readily admit she had her eye off the child for too long, but no matter, her kid is in the vending machine!

While waiting for help, she got a disposable camera, as did other shoppers to record the moment. She did this before learning Wal-Mart didn't have a key. Only then did she, with camera in-hand, get angry about the situation. This I find funny.

Who needs to worry about how the child will get out in the first place, when you make it a priority to have a picture of it? The kid was not in any serious trouble so everything turned out well. Next time she needs to take less time picking up his juice box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell-Me-It-Ain't-So Dept.:

1. Is it true that Walmart officials were alerted to the scene by melodic screams from the 3 year old child of "Brother, can you spare me a dime?" [or a quarter, or whatever the damn machine takes]?

2. Since Walmart has decided to remove such crane machines from their establishment, it seems to me that this provides extremely fertile ground for the re-assignment of such machines to single's bars, the bin being built a tad bigger to accomodate the most desperate of patrons, or, at the very least, their business cards.

3. Finally, is there a future for these crane machines for adoption agencies?