Monday, April 26, 2010

Rocking the East Coast

After a breezy 3.5-hour drive a week ago, I was transported from the cozy confines of MoCo to the real, "The City." I played tourist during the day and surprised my dad for his 65th (!) birthday at night, before visiting Philly for brunch with a friend from college. It was a whirlwind 36 hours, but hot damn it was worth it!

Somehow nobody's making eye contact with anybody else.


The new pedestrian walkway was much appreciated in Times Square. I still had to fend off five-year-olds who didn't know how to get out of the way. I stepped aside instead of getting hit in the groin.


Let's travel all the way to this city of great restaurants just to eat at the Olive Garden. Sadly, the place was packed.


Long live the TKTS booth! A haven for me, el Cheapo Depot, I landed orchestra seats to "Chicago."


Bianca Marroquin was awesome as Roxie. This prohibited video doesn't even do her justice.


Blasphemy! Who dares to advertise Canadian bagels in NYC when there's H&H, etc.??? This is the rarest of all things, a Tim Hortons this far south so of course I went inside.


Thought I must admit that the Tim Horton Timbits were better than Dunkin Donuts' munchkins.


What ever shall we call this park in the center of the city?


"The meeting isn't until three, but I always like to come a little early. This is where I do my haunts. Oh, look! [points to a Sbarro's] My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!" -- Michael Scott


Time for some legit NYC pizza. Broccoli on pizza was awesome.


Perfect! Go to Flash Dancers, now offering a sushi and sake bar. Nice warning above the entrance that warns about bed bugs. These are the things I notice.


The House of Brews was like every bar in midtown, an Irish bar with an Irish bartender and Irish customers. "That was a bloody yellow card!" was heard often.


A bike lane signal. At least bikers are safe in one Manhattan intersection. Just a few thousand more to go.


Just about as clean as you'll find for a food cart.


A great miracle happened at the Empire State Building...no significant lines.


It was really cold up that high, but it was sooooo worth it.


Tall buildings to the northwest.


Taller buildings to the north.


Tallest buildings to the northeast.


Don't drop your camera!


Your typical NYC street: school buses, taxis, livery cabs, tourist bus, luxury sedan from the NJ suburbs, and commuter bus from Connecticut.


Rolled to Philly for a hot minute the next day and enjoyed Rittenhouse Square.


I tossed a penny over my shoulder and wished for peace on earth. Yeah right!


Postcard weather made Philly look good.


I rocked some solid challah french toast with ricotta cheese and blackberry sauce at Marathon on the Square (the freshly squeezed OJ was not so solid). It looked like this except it for the whipped cream and ugly plate. I was stuffed completely for the drive back to Maryland.

No comments: